Best News Views and Images Website Room

Monday 21 April 2008

abby mcgrew

abby mcgrew-Joe Calzaghe earned a split decision over Bernard Hopkins on Saturday night in Las Vegas, but the Welshman was disappointed in the way he looked doing it. And besides, Hopkins thinks he won.

"I got beat tonight, but it wasn't by Joe Calzaghe," Hopkins said. "Everybody's got eyes. I don't have to explain nothing."

After Hopkins scored a knockdown just 70 seconds in, Calzaghe chased Hopkins backward for the rest of the 12 rounds, with the American veteran blocking or ducking almost everything thrown his way. But Calzaghe (45-0) rallied in the late rounds.

"I'm very critical of my performance," Calzaghe said. "I felt that I didn't fight my best. The fans didn't get to see what I can really do, and a lot of that is because of how Bernard fights. He doesn't try to win -- he just tries to make you lose."

After Hopkins (48-5-1) repeatedly proclaimed himself the winner in the post-match news conference, Calzaghe said: "Of course you wouldn't expect him to be a gracious loser. He still thinks he's a legend. ... But I'm a legend killer.

"Send in another one, and I'll send them all packing."

Quick hits

• New York Giants quarterback and Super Bowl MVP Eli Manning married his college sweetheart, Abby McGrew, during a sunset ceremony Saturday at the One & Only Palmilla resort on Mexico's Baja Peninsula. Manning, 27, and McGrew, 24, met as students at Mississippi.

• A lot of Scotty Bowman's players have wanted to tell him to go to Halifax, but this time some will be there to meet him: The former Red Wings coach will join members of the 1976 Canada Cup team for a reunion on May 6, during the IIHF World Hockey Championship. The team will be honored during the Canada-U.S. game that night in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

abby mcgrew

No comments: