Best News Views and Images Website Room

Sunday 20 April 2008

Divorce ring not disrespectful

Divorce ring not disrespectful-Dear Abby: I am a 45-year-old woman who married my high-school sweetheart, "Cooper." I had heard rumors that Cooper was unfaithful but had no evidence to back it up, and he denied it. One day I discovered Cooper and another woman at a bistro, whispering, kissing and feeding each other. I confronted Cooper at home that evening. He denied it. I called him a liar and he slapped me! He moved out and I filed for divorce.

I recently bought a divorce ring and wear it proudly. Cooper and his parents say I'm poking fun at him and accuse me of "promoting divorce." The ring makes me feel good and shows my independence. Should I feel guilty about it?

Dear Divorcing: No, you should not. The next time Cooper and his parents accuse you of "promoting divorce," remind them that it was Cooper who promoted divorce by openly cheating on you. If the ring brings you pleasure - and comfort - then enjoy it. However, if you wear it on the third finger of your left hand, people may think you're still married.

Dear Abby: I am happily married to a wonderful man but recently became attracted to a co-worker. I would never act on these feelings, but it's starting to distract me at work. I have thought about leaving my job, but walking away would be a bad career move and would put a financial strain on my family. As long as I don't act on my feelings, is it morally wrong to continue working here?

- Unsure in Syracuse


Dear Unsure: It's time for a truth session with yourself. Could you be sending your co-worker signals that you're available? If so, it might be better for your marriage, and your career, to look for a new job. Marriage isn't a prophylactic against becoming attracted to others, but responsible adults don't take the bait. Nothing in life is free, and this could cost you your future.

Divorce ring not disrespectful

No comments: