Best News Views and Images Website Room

Sunday 17 February 2008

Pavlik delight at Taylor victory


American world middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik spoke of his delight after his unanimous points victory over Jermain Taylor.

WBC and WBO champion Pavlik defeated the former title holder 117-111, 116-112 and 115-113 in a fight which had no knockdowns.

The bout was a rematch of September's WBO title fight, won by Pavlik.

"Nothing will top the first victory over Jermain Taylor but it was a great win," said Pavlik.

The fight was contested at a catch weight - an improvised weight between middleweight and super-middleweight - of 166lbs (75.2kg), but Pavlik now intends to return to the middleweight limit to defend his world championship belts.

He could now face Gary Lockett in a mandatory defence of the WBO title, if the Welshman wins his next fight on 22 March in Cardiff.

"It took me seven years to win the title. I plan to keep it for a while," added Pavlik.

Taylor was happy with his performance despite seeing his record drop to 27-2-1.

"I knew it was a close fight but I guess he won the last couple of rounds," said Taylor.

"He's a strong fighter and I give him a lot of credit. I expected a tough fight and I sure got it."

No comments: